Saturday, February 04, 2006

Thoughts on the Crow/Armstrong breakup

Today when I read that rocker Sheryl Crow and cyclist Lance Armstrong have broken off their engagement, I was saddened but not so very surprised.

I read Armstrong’s first book, Its Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life, a few months ago (I highly recommend it!), and I have to say the thought occurred to me a few times that he would be a very difficult person to live with. He’s a great guy with integrity (and one of the most gorgeous men I have ever seen!!!), but I came to the conclusion that he’s fueled by anger, and is pretty stubborn to boot. Good qualities for racing the Tour de France, or battling cancer. Perhaps not so good when he’s retired from competition and your fiancĂ©. Hey, just my perception – and I’m still a fan. This photo has been on my desktop for months:

But Crow and Armstrong had seemed to be very happy together, and in particular I’d been very happy for her. Crow has had her share of disappointments romantically, but she seemed to have found someone who inspired her and made her happy. I watched an interview with the two of them shortly after announcing their engagement, and I remember saying something to the effect that she had always hoped to be in a relationship that was “elevating and supportive” and that she had finally found it. I could relate to her in terms of what she had been looking for, and was really happy for her (after all, someone who has produced some really great albums* and provided a soundtrack for significant sections of one’s life deserves to be happy!).

Ah well, both of them are survivors - I know they'll both be all right.

* Great albums include Tuesday Night Music Club, Sheryl Crow, The Globe Sessions, and, to a lesser degree, Wildflower. C’mon C’mon was the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard; Crow's voice had a particularly grating whining tone - surely they could have mixed the sound better?

No comments: