Saturday, February 04, 2006

Funny

I’m not a big fan of sexual innuendo. I’m not a prude (far from it!). I know that sex is inherently funny, and everyone thinks of sex. Even Shakespeare used sexual innuendo in his plays (notably in the tragedies, for comic relief).

It’s just that I usually find it boring. Often, it’s lazy, it’s monotonous, it requires no effort. It relies on the shock of broaching a taboo subject rather than being genuinely witty or funny. And I hate it someone keeps injecting innuendo when you're just trying to have a simple discussion.

But sometimes – say in a professional environment like a project meeting in a room full of managers – someone might innocently say something like “The Systems Engineering Team has been getting busy with the back end,” and you have to avert your gaze from your director, who is also trying desperately not to giggle. And it’s simply silly and funny and a moment to be enjoyed.

No comments: