Saturday, July 02, 2005

The most important picture from today is the one I didn’t take


This weekend, Toronto is hosting its annual Ribfest. “Ribbers” come and sell their ribs and coleslaw and special sauce and compete against each other to win prizes for “best ribs” or “best sauce”, etc. (In this picture, each billboard represents the various ribbers … and all those people are standing in line to get their slabs of pork!!!) Proceeds go to the organization hosting the event, the Rotary Club. Since I love spare ribs, going to this festival of barbequed meat was a priority! I made some last-minute arrangements, and ended up going with my friend Nancy from work. I’m back at home now, and showered to remove the intense smoky smell of several industrial-sized barbeques from my hair and skin. The sting of smoke inhalation is still at the back of my throat, but I’m still smiling. :->

Let me say first that the ribs were delicious (we tried two different vendors, and both were pretty good, though not as good as Baton Rouge, IMHO). There were live bands and lots of people. But I have to say the day was as enjoyable as it was because of my friend Nancy.

Nancy is just great. I wish there were more people in the world like her. She’s smart, articulate, self-aware, open-minded, practical, and whimsical. She has a goofy sense of humour that I enjoy tremendously, and a sense of responsibility, community, and teamwork that I really respect. We spent hours today meandering through a wide range of topics, from work to ribs to family to faith to Tom Cruise’s meltdown in progress to teaching in the public school system to the benefits of drinking tequila (really!) to travel to finance to real estate. Not in that order, but you know … :-> I had a great time because I had a wonderful friend to keep me company and to laugh with. I had thought a few times of taking her picture to post on this blog, but each time my fingers were sticky with barbeque sauce! LOL Maybe I’ll sneak her pic at work sometime on Monday!

:->

Eclecta

No comments: