Friday, July 01, 2005

Miscellaneous thoughts on music

I recently purchased X and Y by the British band Coldplay. Its release was really hyped, and it's the top-selling CD right now, so I thought I'd get it. It's not their first CD, but it's the first one that I've purchased. At first listen, I was surprised how truly melancholy their music is. Then I found Chris Martin's voice whiny and nasal (especially his head voice - take some singing lessons, man!!!!). Then I listened some more and really appreciated the quality of the instrumentation. Then I found myself humming various tunes from the album during the day. Now I have to listen to the album every day. I don't know what it is.

Some plugs for my favourite performers of whom I will never ever tire: Sade, The Philosopher Kings, and Nelly Furtado (yes, I know her voice can be whiny and nasal too, but I love her music!!!).

Other favourites:
- "Waterfall" by TLC
- all the hits by Hall and Oates
- Suzanne Ciani, especially the new age albums "Seven Waves" and "History of My Heart"
- No Doubt
- "Karmastition" by Alicia Keys (and other Keys songs)
- the soundtrack from "Moulin Rouge"
- "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners (did they ever have any other hit besides this one????)
- "The Four Seasons" by Vivaldi
- Alanis Morissette's CD "Jagged Little Pill" - a modern classic whose quality still dazzles me
- soundtrack to "The Thomas Crown Affair" (jazz compositions by Bill Conti)
- "The Floating Bed" by Elliot Goldenthal from the soundtrack to "Frida"
- "Stop This World" by Diana Krall (from her latest CD, "The Girl in the Other Room")
- "Get Right" by Jennifer Lopez
- Madonna's CD, "Ray of Light"
- Matchbox 20/Twenty
- Bryan Adams, of course
- Lenny Kravitz
- Ravel - "Bolero" and "La Valse"
- soundtracks from "The Last of the Mohicans" and "Dances with Wolves"
- too many more to list for now

If you ever get a chance to hear music by Raul Maldonado, do not hesitate. I have been listening to a CD of his music performed by the classical guitar group, the Lutetia Quartet, and it is wonderful. Unfortunately, I can't find a single piece of information about the Lutetia Quartet on the Internet to post. I think Maldonado is from Argentina.

No comments: