Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chickpea Central

This weekend I had the bright idea that I would make hummus from scratch. Including cooking dried chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans). So of course it's Sunday evening and I'm only cooking the beans now and the whole idea seems far less of a good idea than it did on Saturday morning. But I will persevere ...

But the weird thing? The chickpeas (which are being boiled without any spices, onions, garlic, whatever) smell like I'm cooking a ham. Is this just me? Or is there anyone else out there among my friends and Internet vagabonds who has boiled chickpeas who can speak authoritatively on the smell of boiling garbanzo beans?

3 comments:

Abi said...

Yeah, I find boiling dried beans often smell "meaty". I have a dried bean mix that is very, very meaty smelling.

Eclecta said...

Phew! So relieved it wasn't just me!!! Thanks Abi!!!

Howzit going??? :)

ZenDenizen said...

How did it turn out? I always wanted to make homemade hummus...