Saturday, June 21, 2008

The real bosses around here

Earlier this year, I had a couple of parties here at my apartment, and I was surprised by how many people were really anxious to meet my cats (who were in my bedroom, hiding from all the REALLY LOUD strangers in my living room). So I earnestly promised to provide photos, despite really not wanting to sound like a cat lady. But, finally ...

This one is Sabrina. I got her in a South Korean market in 1996. She was about the size of a well-fed hamster at the time. She reeked of fish when I brought her home. But I forgave her when she crawled under the covers with me that night to curl up in a delicate little ball against my shoulder. I brought her home to Canada with me a year and a half later because I couldn't imagine leaving her behind.

Those dark marks on her nose? Freckles.

She has a very long body, long legs, and a face that's slightly pointy. Somewhat like Siamese cats.

Fast-forward a few years ... The first time I moved into my very own place in Canada after returning from Korea, it was so empty and lonely (Sabrina was still with my parents), so I went straight to the local Humane Society and found this kitten who seemed to have a lot of love to share. The instant I took her out of the cage, she flipped onto her back - in my hands - so I could rub her belly.

It was only after I took her home and was doggedly pursued by her endless pleas for attention and relentless piercing stares that I realized that Cleo had a lot of love to take. But she was cute and I adjusted, and thankfully she's a little more independent these days.


Okay, now that I've run the risk of sounding like a cat lady, please tell me about YOUR pets!

1 comment:

ZenDenizen said...

I've never had one but I do have a post in my draft folder about my thoughts on pets in general. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon.