Sunday, October 23, 2005

My Xmas List

I know it keeps you up at night. The same question drums through your soul, over and over again. How can you possibly find the right gift to show me how much I mean to you and how to thank me for all that I bring to your life???? It has to be sufficiently worthy and thoughtful. I know it's important to you to get this right and to see my face light up as I open your gift. ;->

So let me make this easy for you. I know you probably don't have it within your power to grant me the first two things on my Xmas list (world peace, a Republican-free White House and Congress [the latter probably going a long way to achieving the former]). So instead, may I humbly suggest that you go to the Foster Parents Plan website for a convenient list of potential gifts?

It's convenient, and there's something for every budget. For example, a hen and a rooster for a needy family is only $15! (Doesn't that sound a lot better than yet another scented candle???) For $20, a dozen tree seedlings can be planted to reverse the devastating effects of deforestation. For $25, you would give me the chance to provide an entire family with mosquito nets to protect them - for years! - from horrible diseases. For $65, two women could be provided with literacy training; for $50, two health professionals could receive additional training - can you imagine the impact these could have on a small village??? Don't these little things capture your imagination???? Did I mention that these prices are all in Canadian funds? Should I also mention that you'll be able to claim any gifts over $10 as a charitable tax deduction?

I like the Foster Parents Plan because they are non-political and non-religious. However, if you would like to show me how much you care for me by donating to the Red Cross or UNICEF, I would be honoured. Hell, it doesn't matter if you buy a gift for me, but that you give to those who need it most. We've had terrible hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico, an earthquake in Asia, and an ongoing famine in Africa. I will not judge you if you ask for one for yourself, but I cannot think of a time when a scented candle meant less to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I asked for a similar thing a few years ago for my birthday. The cards outling the donations made in my name were was the best gifts I ever got. I hope this starts a trend.

Jay said...

That's a really great suggestion.