Saturday, January 14, 2006

People-watching

I love to people-watch while I work out at my gym. I can work out on a treadmill and look out the window at the constant pedestrian traffic on the street below.

For instance, today a woman was waiting outside a popular shop with a Great Dane-like dog (I don't know whether it actually was a Great Dane, as its colouring was grey rather than the buff-brown colour I would associate with a Great Dane). Although the dog was very tall, it was quite evident that she had a very sweet nature, and people were continually approaching the woman to ask her about the dog and to pet the dog.

Last weekend, I noticed an older woman on the sidewalk with a child of about 3 years. She would tell the little girl to stay put, then run a short distance ahead, turn back to the little girl, and hold her arms out. The girl would run into her arms, get a big hug, and then stand in place while the woman ran ahead again and started the whole process. It was pure joy to watch.

It kind of renews your faith in your fellow human beings. :)

1 comment:

Eclecta said...

Well, I don't see a lot of picking up happening at my gym - most people seem to be there on a mission to exercise - but there is one guy in particular with so much body hair I can't bear to look at him! Now why aren't there burquas for guys like that???? (Kidding, but it would be nice if he covered up a bit more ...)