Saturday, October 23, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11 - A Must-See

Michael Moore's documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" is now out on video and DVD, and I just finished watching it. I recommend it in the highest possible terms.

I had delayed watching it for months because I'm not a big fan of Michael Moore's style. But this film is so effective in so many ways. At this moment, the main thing that is staying with me is the way that Moore humanized the dreadful human cost of the war in Iraq - by showing wounded American soldiers, families of innocent Iraqi civilians killed in the war, and - perhaps most memorably - the family of an American soldier killed in Iraq. This is exactly the perspective that the mainstream media is actively avoiding to present to the public (for whatever reason). Michael Moore may be an asshole at times, but at least his film shows his ability to empathize with human suffering (which is more than I can say for Bush, Cheney, and Co.).

But there is a lot to this movie, many themes and a lot of information. It is both a strength and a flaw (a weakness because the movie probably tries to do too much).

But really, it is well worth watching.

No comments: