Sunday, October 28, 2007

A juicy dilemma

My latest obsession, after watching Kris Carr of Crazy Sexy Cancer on Oprah on Monday, is juicing. Despite Carr’s stage four cancer, she looked fantastically vibrant, and I’m sure her commitment to juicing and raw foods, in addition to her wonderful attitude and outlook, has factored significantly in this.

I’m working on my attitude and outlook (trust me) … so what about the food?

I *could* buy juices at juice bars in the city, but I don’t live or work close to a place that would use organic produce, so that just seems a little counter-productive. Spend $6 a glass for something that has herbicides and pesticides, carefully pureed for better absorption? Umm, no thank you.

Also, there seem to be two theories on juicing: one is to get everything but the fibre by using a juicer. Fibre can produce gas and make you feel bloated. (Sorry if this discussion is becoming ... indelicate.) The theory is that juice without the fibre is easier to digest, and therefore your body can absorb the nutrients without a lot of work.

However, since I am hypoglycemic and have to watch my intake of sugars (even in juices), so I’m thinking that using a really good blender (e.g., the totally expensive Vitamix, a model of which my mom bought when I was a teenager and we used for about 6 months before it disappeared into the bowels of the pantry) might be better than a juicer, because the pulp would help me digest the sugars more slowly.

Are there any readers out there who are juicers? If so, what are your thoughts/recommendations????

Or is this just another gadget I will get that will consume storage space and not be used a year from now?

No comments: