Monday, August 13, 2007

Surreality

Today was one of the most surreal days I’ve had in a while:

  • A friend of mine (I’ll call her Janie) called me around 4:00 AM because her roommate was screaming death threats at her and Janie was locked in her room and afraid to leave;
  • I actually wondered, “What does one wear to a scene of [potential] domestic violence?” (my answer: shorts, T-shirt, and a sweater);
  • I had to leave a note for my roommate around 5:00 AM asking her to try calling my cellphone around 7:00 AM, and to call the police with the address of Janie's house if I didn’t answer;
  • At Janie’s house, I actually called 9-1-1 for the first time ever;
  • Janie walked out of the house, unharmed, a minute later;
  • When the police arrived, I actually thought, “If I’d realized there’d be so many cute police officers, I’d have brushed my teeth before I came over!!!”
  • We packed a carload of Janie’s things under the protective presence of two police officers;
  • The roommate loudly sang "Life is good" over and over to taunt Janie as she packed to leave;
  • I found out that Janie likes Tom Cruise AND Michael Jackson (I just thought she was way too cool for either one of them!);
  • I found out that my own roommate is having a bit of a nervous breakdown;
  • I had the most disgusting black veggie omelet and hash browns from the nicest waitress/cook a greasy spoon could ever have;
  • I drove to Markham;
  • I made Janie laugh;
  • I got lost in the suburbs;
  • Back in Toronto, I showered and got ready to go to work for the afternoon. On the way to the subway, I saw a rat keel over dead behind the neighbourhood sushi restaurant.

How was your day? :)

No comments: