Monday, January 22, 2007

Because we all need to hear some good news sometimes

From the "Random Acts of Kindness" section of the Toronto Star:

One morning last month, when I was withdrawing money from an ATM my mobile phone rang. The signal was not clear, so I rushed out. In a hurry, I took my card but forgot to take the money I withdrew.

I did not realize this until late afternoon. I went to the bank branch to try my luck and told a bank representative what happened. After they verified my identity, they gave me an envelope with the money.

They told me that two gentlemen noticed the money left and notified the bank staff. They did not leave any personal information.

I was touched by their honesty and kindness. I hope that they see this. By sharing this story, I hope that people see the beauty of honesty and kindness.

A few years ago my husband and I were bringing our daughter and a friend home for the weekend from university in Kingston.

As we neared the end of the 401 on-ramp we hit some snow left by the edge of a plow, swerved out of control, and slammed into a snow bank at the side of the highway.

As we came to a stop a transport truck pulled in behind us. The driver got out and explained that he stopped to provide protection for us because he saw our kids in the back and realized if we got hit, not only might the girls be injured, but our van would be pushed over the embankment.

While he was explaining this another car came to the end of the on-ramp and hit the snow exactly like we had, started spinning in circles, and smashed into the back of the truck. Luckily that driver received only a bump on the head.

We will be forever grateful to the driver who saw our tail-lights in time to pull over and provide protection to us on that winter night.
Kim Capson, Ancaster

On Monday, December 11 during rush hour on Hwy. 410, I was driving in the center lane. A man pulled up, honking, to get my attention. After rolling down my window, he told me that my right rear brake was smoking. I managed to cross two lanes of traffic and exited at Steeles Ave. By the time I pulled into a parking lot two blocks later, my brakes were almost nonexistent.

There are no words to express my thanks to the man who told me about my truck's problem. I really believe he prevented a very serious accident. To him, and also to the people who allowed me to exit the highway so quickly and safely: Thank You from the bottom of my heart.
S. Klein, Grand Valley


In January, I was traveling from Atlanta to Toronto via Air Canada. The train from the city was extremely late and I reached the airport 12 minutes before my departure time. The check-in counter was closed, but I wanted to be with my kids over the weekend and was determined to try my luck.

I rushed to the nearest Air Canada office counter. The agent looked at my desperate eyes, picked up the phone and said: "We have a passenger coming."

I had only one carry on bag and the Air Canada agent took me all the way to the plane. Just a few seconds before the departure I was in the plane.

I still wonder who that employee was and what made her run like a sprinter to get me on the plane.

Air Canada, thank you for hiring an angel.
Mohammed Fazli, Toronto


No comments: